Verbena’s Fluffy Pancakes with Choc Chips and Coconut Syrup are EVERYTHING that pancakes are supposed to be: fluffy, tasty comfort food that is great at any time of the day (yes, pancakes for dinner is a thing ). But these pancakes step up the game with chocolate chips and coconut syrup, which has a rich, buttery, caramel-like flavor and a maple-syrup-like consistency.
On top of coconut sugar’s fantastic taste, it has a lower glycemic index than maple syrup, plus trace amounts of important vitamins and minerals. We are not calling these fantastic pancakes a health food, but when something tastes so great and has some nutritious elements to it, we might as well brag a bit.
You will never settle for pancake mix in a box or (gasp) frozen pancakes from your grocery store. These pancakes are a joy to eat. This recipe offers pure pancake perfection, as each fluffy pancake gets that special syrup drip that makes every single bite delicious. Whether you like to stack your pancakes high or have just a couple at a time, you are going to dine in pure delight.
Verbena’s Fluffy Pancake Recipe
- 1 cup organic all-purpose flour (or oat or spelt flour)
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 T. organic maple syrup
- 1 tsp. organic vanilla extract
- 2 drops lemon essential oil
- 1 organic egg
- 1/2 cup plain organic yogurt
- 1/2 cup organic half and half
- 2 T. melted organic butter
- 1 tsp. clarified organic butter (or ghee) for skillet
- Steve’s Akaka Falls Farm Coconut Syrup (garnish)
- organic chocolate chips
- fresh strawberries, sliced
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and sea salt in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the yogurt, milk, egg, maple syrup, and melted butter until smooth in a second bowl.
- Combine the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients. Fold gently until just incorporated.
- Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and allow the batter to rest for 8 minutes.
- With a buttered paper towel, lightly wipe a cast iron griddle, crepe, or pizza pan.
- Preheat the pan to medium-low to medium heat.
- Gently spoon (without stirring) 1/8 cup of batter onto the hot griddle for silver-dollar-size pancakes. I like to scoop it with a 1/4 cup measuring cup. If the pan is too hot, the pancakes will burn, while if the pan is too cool, the pancakes will stick. Raise or lower the temperature accordingly. It might take a batch or two to work out the perfect temperature.
- Brown the pancakes on both sides and serve hot with crisp edges.
Option one- Garnish the pancakes with chocolate chips, strawberry slices, and warmed coconut syrup. Delicious!
Option two- (my fave!) Serve with cold sour cream (yes, sour cream), fresh sliced strawberries, and warm maple syrup. Wonderful!
Serves 2-3 people.
Find Verbena on Instagram @Verbenas.Kitchen and hashtag your recipe pics with #VerbenasKitchen