Drinkable hot chocolate—what isn’t to love? There’s nothing like a cup of hot cocoa on a cold, snowy day to warm you from the inside out … or to cheer you up when rain is putting a chill in the air. Even in warm weather, hot cocoa is great in pretty much the same way that coffee drinkers like a great cup of Joe.
This hot cocoa is doubly hot due to the warmth of the cocoa and the added kick of spicy peppers. The peppers give it a nice, unexpected flavor and will make your taste buds and tummy tingle with delight. When you drink this unique combination, you’ll be consuming something similar to what the ancient Mayans drank when they discovered cocoa.
Whether you want to drink this as a tribute to the Mayans, get your chocolate fix, or just have something different, this spicy, warm, and chocolatey drink will hit the spot each and every time. #CalienteCocoa
Hot and Spicy Hot Cocoa
- 1/6 cup unsweetened organic cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup organic sugar
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 1/8 cup Steve’s Akaka Falls Farm Passion Fruit Habanero Jam
- 1.5 oz. boiling water
- 2 cups whole organic milk
- 1 tsp. organic vanilla extract
- organic cocoa powder
- organic marshmallows
- organic whipped cream
- organic candy canes (yes, they do exist)
- Combine the organic cocoa, organic sugar, Passion Fruit Habanero Jam, and pinch of sea salt in a saucepan.
- Stir in the boiling water and move the pan to medium-high heat. Stir constantly while the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce the heat immediately.
- Simmer on medium-low heat for about 2 minutes, while continuing to stir constantly. Watch that it doesn’t burn.
- Put 2 cups of organic whole milk into a blender and blend it for 30 seconds.
- Slowly stir in the blended milk and heat until hot, but do not boil!
- Remove from the heat and add organic vanilla. Divide between 2 mugs and sprinkle with cocoa powder. Top with organic whipped cream & marshmallows if desired.
SUGGESTIONS: Serve with Christmas Cookies!!
p.s. Santa loves this recipe!
Find Verbena on Instagram @Verbenas.Kitchen and hashtag your recipe photos with #VerbenasKitchen