Get ready for the most exotic sauce you have ever tasted. With the fruit, flavor, and spice of two different countries, your mouth will be dancing the salsa and a jig all at once. You already know the delicious tang that cranberries add to a sauce, and you know the kick that jalapeños add to your favorite Mexican meals, but wait until you taste these flavors that you know and love when they are married into one dish. Our Cranberry Jalapeño sauce is sure to be a winner. You’ll want to double the recipe so that you have extra for yourself when the guests are gone.
Verbena’s Spiced Cranberry Jalapeño Sauce
- 1 1/2 large organic apples, medium-diced
- 2 Tbsp. organic butter
- 6 oz. fresh organic cranberries
- 1 organic orange, juiced and zested
- 1 small lemon, juiced and zested
- 2 Tbsp. organic sugar
- 1 small jalapeño
- 1 tsp. organic cinnamon powder
- 1 drop cinnamon food-grade essential oil
- 2 drops ginger food-grade essential oil
- Sauté the apples with butter in a sauté pan on medium-low until they are lightly golden brown.
- Add juice from the orange and lemon.
- Add the cranberries and sprinkle the sugar, cinnamon powder, and zest of orange and lemon on top (remember to zest only the color on the surface and not the white pith underneath).
- Add jalapeño and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
- Finish by mixing in cinnamon and ginger essential oils. I drop the oil on a spoon before mixing it into the rest of the recipe. This ensures that any spillage can be dealt with before it goes into the sauce. You can add the essential oils during the cooking process, but most of the flavor will be cooked away.
Find Verbena on Instagram @Verbenas.Kitchen and hashtag your recipe pics with #VerbenasKitchen